On Friday, 23 September 2016, we held a well-received webinar on the Commission’s latest package of legislative initiatives in the copyright environment. This included a concise review and summary of the six draft directives, draft regulations, communications and impact assessments the commission has bundled in its “Second Copyright Package” as published on 14 September 2016. Specifically, we touched upon:
- The general Communication “Promoting a fair, efficient and competitive European copyright-based economy in the Digital Single Market”
- The Commission’s accompanying Impact Assessment
- The draft for a Regulation laying down rules on the exercise of copyright and related rights applicable to certain online transmissions of broadcasting organisations and retransmissions of television and radio programmes
- The draft for a Directive on copyright in the Digital Single Market
- The draft for the Regulation and the Directive implementing the Marrakesh Treaty
A recording of the webinar along with the accompanying slides can be accessed here.
As you will be aware, the Second Copyright Package forms an immanent part of the Commission’s Digital Single Market strategy. To learn more about this strategy and its implementation, please visit our micro site DSMwatch.com. We also regularly publish blog posts on current developments regarding the Digital Single Market and the Commission’s endeavours to facilitate such a market within the European Union. The DSM blog is part of our Global Media & Communications Watch.
We hope you find our webinar recording and blogs on the subject instructive and helpful. Please feel free to share your views and suggestions with us. We very much appreciate engaging in fruitful dialog with those who read our publications and look forward to welcoming you to our next webinar.