Ted Mlynar and Ira Schaefer from our Blockchain-Smart Contract IPMT Working Group return to the Fordham Intellectual Property, Media & Entertainment Law Journal podcast series following their first episode in November 2017.
Ted and Ira open this podcast with a brief account of Bitcoin’s background and give an overview of the current cryptocurrency landscape. They go on to discuss the following issues related to tax:
- The 2014-21 IRS notification and how the IRS views cryptocurrency
- Related implications such as tax on trading, mining and capital gains tax
- Tax strategy for reporting and blockchain’s limitations for record keeping
- IRS investigations and related customer data protection / access issues within cryptocurrency wallet companies such as Coinbase
- Government acceptance of cryptocurrecy for payment obligations such as tax payment
- Development of cryptocurrecy and the question of “forks” such as Bitcoin Cash and Etherium
- US tax reform and interpretation of IRS regulation of “like-kind” transfers for cryptocurrencies
Catch the podcast here
For more international information, please visit our Blockchain: Linked Ledgers topic center.